On 8/16/12 5:02 AM, Rick Mann wrote:
After googling, I found that in -[NSDocument windowControllerDidLoadNib], I
had to begin my sheet by calling performSelector on the main thread (actually
I scheduled a block operation). This is kinda gross, but seems to work.

Unfortunately, the result is that the main window animates opening
simultaneously with the sheet animating open.

I'd really like the sheet to begin its animation after the main window
finishes its own. Is there a "right" place to do this?

Don't know about right place, I'm doing this by overwriting -showWindow: in the window controller, firing a delayed performSelector with 0.5 seconds delay. I also tried -windowDidLoad but as you noticed, the animation isn't complete when it being called. Long story short:

- (void)showWindow:(id)sender
{
  [super showWindow:sender];

  [self performSelector:@selector(showMySheet:)
             withObject:nil
             afterDelay:0.5];
}

Works well for me, both on Lion and Mountain Lion.

Regards
Markus