On Aug 19, 2012, at 11:14 PM, Dale Miller <dalelmil...@comcast.net> wrote:

> while I'm at it, I have noticed several times mention being made of
> "bugginess" in the PPC64 environment. I'm aware that converting a PPC
> application to 64-bit might not improve performance because of the increased
> size of pointers, etc, but this is really because the PPC (G5) does not
> provide additional registers (already has 32 GPR's) and uses registers for
> most parameter passing instead of having to put them in memory on the stack
> even in 32-bit mode. So can anyone let me know specific problems so I can
> avoid them? I have a personal use for a 64-bit application that I've been
> thinking of writing and I don't want to run it on my 10.6 Macbook.

I don't remember all of the specifics, but I do remember that Leopard's 64-bit
GUI frameworks had a bunch of interesting bugs in them that did not exist in
the 32-bit frameworks, and they weren't fixed until Snow Leopard launched. The
biggest one I remember is, if a user plugs in a computer pad, turns on Ink, and
runs a 64-bit app in Leopard, the app will crash. I also recall that WebKit was
unstable, and QTKit even lost its PPC64 support in a security update. It was
for reasons like these that we decided to drop PPC64 support in our GUI apps,
and require Snow Leopard for the X86-64 builds.

I never noticed any problems in the 64-bit non-GUI frameworks, e.g. Foundation
or CoreFoundation.

Nick Zitzmann
<http://www.chronosnet.com/>