I thought someone else might benefit from this little discovery, so here you go.

I've been a big fan of ImageOptim to mess with the internals of PNG files and
make them nice and small, even with the new warning about use with Xcode and
until recently, I've had no problems with PNG files being run through
ImageOptim and used in iOS apps.

However, my MapKit overlays have become terribly slow when devices have been
upgraded to iOS 5.1.x.

I just ran another fork of one of my apps that didn't use PNG files that have
been run through ImageOptim but are MapKit overlays and they snap onto the
screen almost instantly.  No more 12 seconds to watch the files chunk in.

Even though ImageOptim can get you great file size savings with PNGs, I'd steer
clear of using it with large PNGs (1000x +, 800y +) on iOS.

Hopefully, this will save someone else some headaches.