I just notices that my MBP has a similar problem, but only after a day of using
Xcode and leaving it and the simulator running.

I'll shit the cover, it goes to sleep, I'll put it in my bag, take it home and
when I take it out, it's hot and the fans are going full blast.

When I open it, I'll have to do a hard reboot.

Now, at the end of the day, I disconnect my TB cable, quit Xcode and the Sim.
Then close the cover and all has been good.