On Sep 1, 2012, at 8:35 PM, Koen van der Drift <koenvanderdr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sep 1, 2012, at 11:26 PM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:
>
>> Why don't you just perform layout and ask the layout manager for the text it
>> used?
>
> I'd like to make the text display in a column that is exactly x characters
> width.

Keep in mind that one character can generate multiple glyphs, especially since
doing this seems to be why you started this thread in the first place. This is
important, since characters have no visual attributes whatsoever; all drawing
and metrics are done in terms of glyphs.

> I thought I need to control that with setting the size of a textcontainer?

You do indeed need to set the width of the text container.

Sounds like you want to use -maximumAdvancement.

--Kyle Sluder