I suspect the moderator will shut this down as off topic, but I'll reiterate
what I've said before.

On Sep 3, 2012, at 2:58 PM, William Squires <wsqui...@satx.rr.com> wrote:

>  Why should sandboxing on MacOS X even be necessary, seeing as we already
> have the Unix file permissions (and ACLs) to handle who can/cannot read/write
> to a file or directory?

Case 1) To prevent your legitimate application with a vulnerability from being
used as an attack vector.

Suppose you write a cool drawing program with your own file format. Your code
has a bug when parsing your document. An attacker constructors a malicious
document and sends it to one of your users. Your program reads the document,
and the malicious document drops a command & control agent on the user's
machine.

This command & control agent has all the privileges you would normally have, so
it can send out all your email, all your email attachments, all your Pages and
Keynote documents, etc.

In this way, sandboxing prevents us application developers from being
embarrassed by having our code compromise the user. This is probably the
primary benefit of sandboxing. You may want to sandbox your code even if you
distribute it outside the Mac App Store to avoid the embarrassment of being
used as an attack vector.

I put together a video demonstrating exactly this type of attack (I've posted
it here before I think):

        Glowing Embers: The Myth of the Nation State Requirement
        http://www.netsq.com/Podcasts/Data/2012/GlowingEmbers/

Case 2) To prevent a malicious Trojan horse program from compromising the
system.

Despite Apple's review process, they cannot detect malicious code buried inside
an application. Once accepted by the Mac App Store and installed on a victim's
computer, the evil application could silently (and perhaps slowly to stay below
the radar) exfiltrate the user's email, email attachments, Pages, and Keynote
documents. Again, it can do this because it runs with all the user's normal
privileges, and that is all it needs.

Todd