On 06/09/2012, at 10:46 AM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> And extracting the iPhoto icons and uploading them to your own server is an
> immediate no-go; that's almost certainly a copyright violation.

Definitely - that's why we've drawn our own icons that only approximate
iPhoto's.

> Agreed, but in the meantime using icons from iPhoto's bundle is fraught with
> technical and legal complications (you have no idea if Apple has licensed the
> artwork under terms that prohibit its reproduction outside of iPhoto and
> standard browser controls, for example).

That's true, but given that it has a well-esdatblished precedent (iMedia
Browser which lots of apps use) and it wasn't cracked down upon immediately
back when iApps were a new thing, it's a de-facto method that has been
sanctioned by tradition, effectively. In fact by loading the icons dynamically
rather than copying them into ones own bundle, strictly speaking no copying has
taken place.

Perhaps Apple are using the advent of sandboxing to finally crack down on this
usage - but I wish if that were the case they'd be more explicit about it,
rather than making you work very hard to get it functioning with sandboxing,
only to reject the app AFTER all the work has been done.

--Graham