I would be surprised if QuickLook is bothering to use anything lower-level. The
raw truth of it is that CGImageSource is intended to be the fastest
image-decoding library on the Mac. Quick Look should have a possible benefit in
raw speed because it might have already cached a file's thumbnail.

Of course, once you get into image manipulation, the story might change. What's
your end goal here?