I am creating a master-detail app for both iPad and iPhone families of devices.
For the iPad I use a split view controller and for the iPhone I use the
standard drill-down interface (a table view when selected pushes the detail
view onto the screen).

Now it feels kind of awkward when a user first uses the app, because there is
no data in the table view yet. In landscape orientation you can press the +
button to add an item and select it to go into detail, but on the iPad in
portrait orientation you fall into an empty detail view by default.

Is it considered good practice to create an initial item on start-up (only when
there is no user created item already) and programmatically select that item in
the table view and go into its detail view immediately? That way the user can
immediately see what an example item looks like in detail and can start
tinkering it.

I'd like to hear ideas, and also invite you to send me to another list if this
question is not in the proper list here. Thanks!

[[[Brainchild alloc] initWithName:@"Richard Altenburg"] saysBestRegards];