Because the last time I tested it, Safari 5.1 on Snow Leopard actually told me
this.

I am relaying what Safari indicated the problem was.

This morning, when I was replying from my Blackberry, I did not have access to
Safari, so I could not test it and state if it worked or not, so I mentioned
exactly what the situation was before, when I was able to test it.

Now on my Mac in 10.6.8, using Safari 5.1.7, bugreport.apple.com loads fine.

My suspicion is that a site certificate was cached for the person who reported
trouble this morning or there there is a problem that newer Safaris on Lion or
Mountain Lion catch

Using Camino 2.1.2, Camino indicates this this is an "untrusted connection".
Here's a screenshot that should explain the situation.
http://i.imgur.com/Wmip6.png

Chrome 21.0.1180.89 does not report any error.
Firefox 14.0.1 does report that this is an untrusted connection.

It is an untrusted connection and Apple is using an invalid certificate for
bugreport.apple.com

That should explain why I keep saying that.

Cheers.