On Sep 21, 2012, at 6:19 AM, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
> This might sound esoteric, but this is proving to be really, really common.
> It's not just me - our users are complaining for exactly the same reason -
> they make a change which they don't expect to "stick" because they
> deliberately don't save, and yet it does stick. The locking of a document
> doesn't help because these changes are usually right after the file was saved.
>
> Honestly, this really stinks. I'm finding it hard to believe that Apple in
> their wisdom feel this is actually easier to use than the old way of doing
> things. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on this, surely it's not
> just me?

 I run into it as well. But less and less. It's the same as the reversal of the
scroll wheel direction: It's hard to undo more than a decade of rote
memorization. But it's possible It's an aspect of having to manually save that
we power users have taken advantage of as a feature.

 The real world doesn't work like that. New users don't expect it to work like
that. For everyone but us "damaged souls", this is actually an improvement. If
you wanted to scribble additional annotations into a drawing, you'd make a
photocopy of it. On the computer, you just have to train yourself to duplicate
the file before you do these changes.

 Also, I think this is off-topic for this mailing list. Feel free to discuss
this at the Mac-GUI-Dev mailing list:

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de