From my experience that's correct. Apple don't want you to support old hardware
so they don't facilitate. When you update Xcode it even deleted old versions if
it can find. Also new Xcode doesn't support compiling for pre armv7 (if I'm not
mistaken here) meaning only 3GS and newer (iPad one is gone too).

So yeah you'll have to go through all those hoops to get legacy stuff running.

Cheers,
Ivor