Dear list,

I am developing an application for playing videos, whose one of the
main functions is zooming the video to let  the user observe the
details if the video frame size is large (it will be used to play the
videos recorded by the dash camera).

I have created a 'prototype' of a video view that allows to perform
this (the video is being zoomed with a scroll wheel, and zooming
"occurs" where the mouse cursor is - i am setting the anchor point in
that place), along with "panning" the video frame (the frame can be
dragged) - mainly using core animation.

What I am asking here:
I am not sure how usable such a control is.
The main problem (as for me) is that the user can drag the video frame
out of sight. He can zoom the video the way it moves out of sight.
When the window is being zoomed, the frame doesn't get zoomed up till
the moment the user ends zooming (because I am resetting the video
layer size to the view size in -viewDidEndLiveResize. I don't know how
to make the video layer resize together with the view - I tried to do
this in -drawRect, checking the "isBeingResized" flag, but doing so
kills all the animation - if you try to resize the view you can see
that the "Zoom" label moves with animation, but the video frame
wouldn't do so..).

Could you please give some advices how to make the control more usable
and solve these problems?
I do not post the source code, it is a bit bulky for the list,
although I may post it here if needed..

The test application can be found here: http://rghost.net/40542098

Thank you!
Nick