On 3 Oct 2012, at 16:15, Marshall Houskeeper <mhouskee...@media100.com> wrote:

> Our document file format currently stores file paths and file alias to
> external files. We can potentially have several thousand references to
> external files stored in a document. When we move to a sandbox environment,
> we will store Security-Scoped Bookmarks.
>
> What is the suggested method to handling old documents with with external
> file references in a sandbox environment?

Arguably, here's what should (have) happen(ed):

1. March 2012, OS X 10.7.3 introduces security-scoped bookmarks. You update
your app to start generating them
2. June 2012, sandboxing deadline for App Store. You update your app to be
sandboxed at some point around then or later. Most documents already use
security-scoped bookmarks. For those that don't, prompt using open panel

By leaving it until now to worry about security-scoped bookmarks, you've placed
yourself at a bit of a disadvantage.

How are you currently storing references to external files? Bookmarks, aliases
or raw paths? Ideally you'd already be storing bookmark data, so it's no change
to the document format to add in security-scoped info too.

Similarly, bookmark resolution can always fail because the file has been
deleted or moved somewhere the system doesn't recognise. If this happens you
ought to provide some sort of alert to the user, including an open panel to
locate the file or its replacement. Upgrading to a security-scoped bookmark can
follow the same pattern.

Of course, with a large quantity of files that could become a big pain. In
which case your best bet is to use the open panel to locate the *folder*
containing a number of the files. That grants you access to all the other files
within the folder.