On Oct 24, 2012, at 10:03 AM, Alex Zavatone <z...@mac.com> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2012, at 12:40 PM, Mike Abdullah wrote:
>

>> On 24 Oct 2012, at 16:24, Alex Zavatone wrote:
>>
>>> We're currently looking at expanding one of our applications from 1 office
>>> to up to 40.
>>>
>>> It's an app that needs an internal preference to be set and remembered
>>> through updates or reinstalls.
>>
>> I’m confused, what stops a regular preference from persisting across updates
>> and reinstalls?
>
> Well, according to the docs, the preferences folder is within the app.
> Therefore, when replacing the app, (which is a folder) the entire contents of
> the app would be expected to be replaced.

The docs describe the sandbox configuration (or should) which does not say that
preferences are inside the application, but rather inside the application's
sandbox. The distinction is huge (if only because if it was inside the
application your application's signature would break and would no longer
launch).

Nothing except deleting the application (nee its sandbox) should delete
existing preferences.
--
David Duncan