On 25/10/2012, at 10:05 AM, Mike Abdullah <cocoa...@mikeabdullah.net> wrote:

> On 24 Oct 2012, at 23:31, Graham Cox wrote:
>

>> On 24/10/2012, at 8:47 PM, Mike Abdullah <cocoa...@mikeabdullah.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Handling security-scoped bookmarks most certainly relies upon code-signing,
>>> as without you can’t create or resolve them. Are you dealing with app or
>>> document scoped bookmarks here?
>>>

>> App-scoped.
>>
>> In dev and testing no problem was encountered but "in the wild" we have this
>> crash deep within -[NSURL URLByResolvingBookmarkData:options:.....]. The app
>> was incorrectly signed due to a stuff-up with the developer ID certs which
>> was resolved, but that won't help until we get an update published. What's
>> annoying is that the bookmark resolving just crashes rather than handle the
>> problem gracefully, and we're still not certain whether the incorrect
>> signing is the real cause or not (the apps were signed, just not using the
>> correct cert). This deep connection between parts of the OS that behave very
>> differently according to the situation they find themselves in is a recipe
>> for very hard-to-find bugs that easily escape QA.
>
> Is it possible http://www.mikeabdullah.net/nsurl-bookmark-error-handling.html
> is biting you?

Hmm, interesting...

I wasn't setting error to nil, I am now.

However, all I do with the value of error is log it if the URL returns nil.
While that could crash in the circumstances your post describes, that isn't
where it appears to actually be crashing. (Unfortunately I don't have a stack
trace handy).

Do you know of a way to force this resolution to fail so I can test it?

--Graham