On 29 Oct, 2012, at 10:38 PM, Vincent Habchi <vi...@macports.org> wrote:

> Le 29 oct. 2012 à 15:26, Roland King <r...@rols.org> a écrit :
>
>> Doesn't help I'm afraid. If I only have that one, single, path, the even-odd
>> rule returns odd inside the path/circle so it's inside and the non-zero
>> returns either 1 or -1 depending on the order of the control points so
>> either way so that's inside too and in either case they get clipped in, not
>> clipped out. I think I need two paths, one at the boundary of the context
>> and one inside it, but I haven't managed to quite get my head around it.
>
> If you’re drawing on a solid background, you can always – as a kludge – draw
> everything then fill the inside of your path with the background color, which
> will give you the same result. Of course, if you are dealing with a stack of
> CALayers, it might be more difficult to find a workaround like this.
>
> Vincent

unfortunately a stack of layers is exactly where I am .. worse .. I have a
stack of layers where some of them need to clip outside the path of one of them
and all the layers are naturally transparent so I can't fill the clip one with
a background and stuff it on top hiding those below. Each layer has one close
path on it at this point so using paths is ideal if I can figure it out.

Someone suggested a clip mask, that might work if I can't get the paths to go;
I feel for some reason that a clip mask would be less efficient and this should
be totally do-able with paths and paths are what I naturally have here.

Time to start TestClippy and work this out, thanks for the suggestions.