On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:22:57 +0100, Andreas Grosam said:

>I'm attempting to create a directory with NSFileManager's method. The
>directory may already exist.
>
>According the documentation <https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/
>#documentation/Cocoa/Reference/Foundation/Classes/NSFileManager_Class/
>Reference/Reference.html> the method shall return YES if the directory
>already exists:
>
>"
>Return Value
>YES if the directory was created or already exists or NO if an error occurred.
>"
>
>However, when the directory already exists it returns NO with error
>parameter set:

Strange.  I filed <rdar://9453805> last year about the docs for that method:

-------------
17-May-2011 02:25 PM Sean McBride:
The developer documentation for NSFileManager's
createDirectoryAtPath:withIntermediateDirectories:attributes:error: says:

Parameters
path
The path at which to create the new directory. The directory to be created must
not yet exist.

Return Value
YES if the operation was successful or already exists, otherwise NO.

I believe the sentence "The directory to be created must not yet exist." should
be stricken.  It conflicts with what's implied by the return value. Also, in
practice, passing an existent path works as expected (YES is returned).

09-Mar-2012 02:31 PM Sean McBride:
This is fixed in Xcode 4F90's built-in docs.

This issue has been verified as resolved and can be closed.

Note that in my experience YES is returned if the directory exists.

Do you require 10.7?  If so, try the URL version:
createDirectoryAtURL:withIntermediateDirectories:attributes:error:.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 s...@rogue-research.com