I have a tall UILabel with numberOfLines 0 (meaning infinite). The problem
remains the same even if numberOfLines is some large finite number such as 20,
so that's not the source of the problem.

I am creating an attributed string like this:

    NSString *s1 = @"The Gettysburg Address, as given by A. Lincoln on a
certain occasion\n";
    NSString *s2 = @"Four score and seven years ago, our fathers brought forth
upon this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the
proposition that all men are created equal.";

    NSString* title = s1;
    NSMutableAttributedString* content = [[NSMutableAttributedString alloc]
                                          initWithString:title

attributes:@{NSFontAttributeName:[UIFont fontWithName:@"Arial-BoldMT" size:15],

NSForegroundColorAttributeName:[UIColor colorWithRed:0.251 green:0.000
blue:0.502 alpha:1],
                                          NSKernAttributeName:[NSNull null]}];

    NSString* blurb = s2;
    NSMutableAttributedString* content2 = [[NSMutableAttributedString alloc]
                                           initWithString:blurb

attributes:@{NSFontAttributeName:[UIFont fontWithName:@"Georgia" size:14],
                                           NSKernAttributeName:[NSNull null]}];
    [content appendAttributedString:content2];

    // additional code will go here

    self.lab.attributedText = content;

It works fine; I see the title and the paragraph. Now, you see where it says
"additional code will go here"? In that spot, I add paragraph styles to my
attributed string, like this:

    NSMutableParagraphStyle* para = [NSMutableParagraphStyle new];
    para.headIndent = 10;
    para.firstLineHeadIndent = 10;
    para.paragraphSpacingBefore = 5;
    para.tailIndent = -1;
    para.lineBreakMode = NSLineBreakByWordWrapping;
    [content addAttribute:NSParagraphStyleAttributeName value:para
range:NSMakeRange(0,title.length)];

    para = [NSMutableParagraphStyle new];
    para.headIndent = 10;
    para.firstLineHeadIndent = 10;
    para.tailIndent = -1;
    para.lineBreakMode = NSLineBreakByTruncatingTail;
    para.paragraphSpacing = 5;
    [content addAttribute:NSParagraphStyleAttributeName value:para
range:NSMakeRange(title.length,1)];

    NSStringDrawingContext* con = [NSStringDrawingContext new];
    CGRect r = [content boundingRectWithSize:CGSizeMake(280,10000)
    NSLog(@"%f", r.size.height);

The result (and this is the problem) is that the label truncates after the
**first line** of the second paragraph ("Four score and seven years ago, our
fa…"). Why? There's plenty of room in my label for more lines!

Moreover, I am trying to predict the height that my text will occupy. Right now
I'm just logging the result, as shown above. Without those paragraph styles, I
get 121, which looks right. With the paragraph styles, I get 53, which suggests
that the truncation is taking place here too!

Now, I know that I can fix the problem by changing NSLineBreakByTruncatingTail
to NSLineBreakByWordWrapping for the second paragraph. But I don't want to!
Because if in fact the text is too long for the height of the actual label, I
do want ellipses at the end!

So how can I get tail truncation **when the label is too short**, without
getting **unnecessary** truncation after the first line of the second paragraph?

Thx - m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 5! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023562.do