On 12 Nov 2012, at 14:15, Joerg Simon <j_si...@mac.com> wrote:

> This summs it up really nicely:
>
> http://wbyoung.tumblr.com/post/27851725562/core-data-growing-pains
>
> Links to radar bug reports are within the blog post.
>
> The conclusion it is not usable does not hold under iOS6, since nested
> contexts work quite wonderfully there, but it shows problems under iOS5.
>
> Generally if you use performBlock and not performBlockAndWhait and do not use
> a fetched results controller at all and some other tricks, you can get it
> working quite well also under iOS5, but actually the code you produce is
> uglier than doing it manually the "old way" using thread confinment and merge
> by hand. At least in my experience.
>
> But under iOS6 nested contexts rock!

So to summarise:

- Child contexts synchronously route through their parent to perform fetches.
The author thinks this is a mistake; I consider it an expected consequence of
the design

- "Making changes into a parent context can be slow" with no mention of a radar
or details of any possible fix

- Child contexts in iOS5/OS X 10.7 are pretty buggy when it comes to
propogating changes *down* from their parent. This is where iOS 6/OS X 10.8
appears to have improved matters.