On 27 Nov 2012, at 22:11, Peter Ammon <pam...@apple.com> wrote:

> Are you sure you need a nested split view at all? A single split view can
> have multiple panes.

Wow, I must have missed that. I'm in exactly the same situation as the OP.
After reading this I tried dragging a custom view and dropping it on a normal
2-pane splitter just to the right of the right custom view, and a second
divider appeared! My splitter now has 3 panes, just what I need. Thanks for the
hint!

Regards,
Gleb
http://pixelespressoapps.com