My app creates lots of MyOperations (subclass of NSOperation) and puts them
into an NSOperationQueue.

I would expect that the app thus remains responsive, but sometimes it is not.

A sure way to beach-ball my app is: start it with a few hundred operations
(which will take about 20 seconds to finish).
Make some other app active.
Try to make my app active again - it's panel stays grey and after a few seconds
the cursor will turn into a beach-ball.

These MyOperations interact with their controller in two ways:

1. they do once at start:  [ controller dataStringFor: row ];

The controller has:

- (NSString *) dataStringFor: (NSUInteger)row
{
        @synchronized(self)
        {
                if ( self.stringArray == nil ) { create it - takes some time,
but happens only once};
        }
        return self.stringArray[row];
}

2. When MyOperations have finished their work they call: [ controller  done:
row  result: someNumber ];

The controller has:

- (void) done: (NSUInteger) row  result: (NSUInteger) someNumber
{
    @synchronized(self)
        {
                [ self.rowsToDo removeIndex: row ];     //
NSMutableIndexSet
        };

        //      sometimes do some logging, update user interface - but only
every few seconds
}

So, why the beach-ball? What am I doing wrong? How to debug this? Why does the
app-switch make the beach-ball appear?

Gerriet.

10.8.2, Arc