On Dec 4, 2012, at 10:58 AM, "Gerriet M. Denkmann" <gerr...@mdenkmann.de> wrote:

> When an operation has finished, it sends a message to the app delegate. Every
> 20th time, the app delegate then does:  self.aValue = ...some number ...
> @property (assign) NSUInteger aValue; // aValue is bound to some NSTextField.
>
> But when I comment this out there is no impact on speed at all.

My guess there’s probably some other indirect call to AppKit like this, where
it goes through KVO or bindings and you’re not realizing it.

Use the ‘sample’ tool if you can’t get Instruments to work. Look at all the
threads and see where they’re spending their time, especially the ones
servicing your dispatch queue. Are they mostly doing work, or blocked on
something, and if so what?

—Jens