On 21 Dec 2012, at 3:06 PM, Philip Ershler <ersh...@cvrti.utah.edu> wrote:

> Wouldn't the Font Book app in OS X give you the information you seek?

If I understand the OP's intention, he's looking for documentation on which
fonts are _included in a minimal installation of Mac OS X._ In other words, the
fonts with guaranteed availability. Font Book, or queries to NSFontManager,
won't tell you that. The Wikipedia article
(<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typefaces_included_with_OS_X>, for
those who can't browse back through this thread) may be the best reference.

There may not be a pat answer. Fonts have entered and left the standard
distribution with every major release since System 1, and even current machines
will have orphaned Apple fonts hanging over from previous releases. (My
mid-2012 MBP has the full-Latin Charcoal [not CY], last seen on OS 9. Charcoal
isn't on my new Mac at work.) My point being: The list isn't stable, and it's
unlikely you can snapshot the current list without wiping a machine.

You might dig up a machine that can accept the latest OS version you're
comfortable with as a standard (10.4?) and do a wipe-and-install of that. You'd
probably miss out on a lot of Asian fonts, though.

A survey of /System/Library/Fonts might tell you what the absolute, drop-dead
minimum set is, but surely the actual minimum install goes beyond that. (Can't
you expect Baskerville, for instance? I wouldn't want to live in a world where
there isn't a Baskerville.)

        — F