This should be easy but I've been stumped for two hours.

Mac OS X.  I've put a table view into a sheet, bound the columns to an array
controller, and bound the array controller's content array to an array property
in the window controller.  Table has three columns:

Array element class is a little custom object.
"Add" button, wired to the array controller, works OK, adds objects.
Binding to the array ivar seems to work OK; ivar array mirrors the array
controller.
The popup column also works, sets property as expected.

But when I click in either of the text field columns, I can't edit…

Instead of getting a focus ring around the cell, I get a 1-pixel gray rectangle.
Instead of the text being highlighted normally, I get a gray highlight.
When I type characters, I get a sysbeep.

It's like the field editor is disabled or something.

In the xib,

Table columns' Editable checkboxes are switched on.
Text field cells' Enabled checkboxes are switched on.

What could be doing this?

Thank you,

Jerry Krinock