Dear list,

I have an app which presents folders and files in a tree structure. I'm using
an NSTreeController and core data to keep track of the relationships between
the files and folders. The ProjectItem entity has a 'children' relationship
which is to-many with the same entity and a 'parent' relationship which is
to-one with the same entity. The 'children' relationship has a cascade delete
rule; the parent one has a nullify rule. I use a tree-controller and then an
outline view to display. Pretty normal stuff so far.

I received a bug report from a user saying that when he deletes a folder which
contains one or more files then he can't save the document (this is an
NSPersistentDocument app, by the way).  The error in the logs is

CoreData could not fulfil a fault for <.... Folder/ ...>

I struggled to reproduce this until I did some testing on 10.6.8. There I can
reproduce the problem easily.

So, this problem seems to be restricted to 10.6.8 - on 10.8 it doesn't happen.

I've tried various things to handle the deletion of objects differently,
including the things discussed here:

http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/309154-core-data-undo-delete-cannot-fulfill-fault.html

and here

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/cocoa/conceptual/CoreData/Articles/cdTroubleshooting.html

but so far, nothing helps. I delete objects using the -remove: method of
NSTreeController.

Has anybody else had this problem and/or can they point out some places to
begin looking for the problem? I'm confused why I should have the problem on SL
but not on ML - is the core data implementation somehow more robust to some
programming error in my app on ML?

Any clues, ideas, advice, would be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Martin