And just how does one go about doing that?  The only way I can see is to use
an owner’s dealloc to call something like “wouldLikeToDealloc” on the owned
object.  From the literature, it appears that NSTimer is the main offender
in this regard.  I frequently use generic NSViewControllers and
NSWindowControllers which have no link to the controller containing the
timer.