On Jan 14, 2013, at 2:38 PM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> Given that Gordon's explicit use case involves one part of his app
> setting up timers that point at objects in other parts of his app that
> know nothing of the timers' existence, this sounds like a fragility
> nightmare.
>
> The NSTimer ship has sailed.

I don't really see it. All you'd need would be a special initializer or
convenience constructor, like +[NSMapTable strongToWeakObjectsMapTable]. Make
versions of the +timerWithTimeInterval:etc:etc: classes which would cause the
created NSTimer to weakly retain its target, and it'd just work. Adding
something blocks-based instead of the target/selector stuff would of course be
great too.

Of course, Quincey makes a great point that with GCD timers, we don't really
need NSTimer anymore, and that it might simply be deemed to have outlived its
purpose. Then again, this —

On Jan 14, 2013, at 3:25 PM, Quincey Morris
<quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

> Of course, it may just be a signal that Apple hasn't gotten to
> blocks-enhancing NSTimer yet

is probably just as likely a possibility, given the other areas in Cocoa where
blocks seem like the most natural solution in the world, but where Apple still
sticks to target/selector only for whatever reason (NSApplication's sheet
support, I'm looking at you).

Charles