On Jan 5, 2013, at 7:29 AM, David Duncan <david.dun...@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2013, at 12:46 AM, Markus Spoettl <ms_li...@shiftoption.com> wrote:
>
>> […]
>> I've been debugging this one for quite a while until I realized that missing
>> layers are not missing but somehow their zPosition got messed up so they
>> ended up below another sibling layer.
>>
>> Since the affected layers need to be siblings in the same parent layer I
>> can't fix this by making them sub-layers to enforce the hierarchy.
>>
>> Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
>

> My best guess would be that -renderInContext: always renders in the same
> order you get from the -sublayers array, without the zPosition sorting you
> get on display. This is probably a bug, but your best work around would be to
> sort the sublayers array yourself rather than relying upon zPosition to do so.

I agree. The Core Animation Programming Guide says this:

“The zPosition property specifies the z-axis component of the layer's position.
The zPosition is intended to be used to set the visual position of the layer
relative to its sibling layers. It should not be used to specify the order of
layer siblings, instead reorder the layer in the sublayer array.”

… but renderInContext: seems to have a more or less opposite philosophy.

-Tom