On Jan 17, 2013, at 14:12 , Thomas Bunch <t...@omnigroup.com> wrote:

> Launch, take your "document" (very much a stub), File -> Export…, "My Flat
> Format". Now File -> Export… again but this time pick "My HTML Folder
> Export". If you have your file extensions visible you'll see at this point
> that the extension is ".mff". Even so, the typical user will blow away their
> document at this point without a second thought.

Can't you detect this situation in the save code itself? If you're actually
replacing a file with a folder, at least if file extensions were hidden when
the save panel closed, you might want to abort the save. If you're replacing a
folder with a folder … well, you'd have to decide if it's important that the
existing folder has an extension, or doesn't appear to be the kind of folder
contents you're replacing it with.

Or, just look at the UTI for what you're replacing. If it's something your app
recognizes, you might want to avoid replacing it with a generic folder.