We have dot-syntax for accessors, and we have dot-syntax for struct elements,
and we can chain them, but not as an lvalue. It is legal to say

 x = object.struct.element

and

 object.struct = f

and

 struct.element = x

but not

 object.struct.element = x

I suppose this is because you can't use the very same accessor as a getter and
a setter simultaneously, but really it's quite obvious what this means: it
means means

 temp = object.struct
 temp.element = x
 object.struct = temp

So *why* can't the compiler just allow it to mean that, instead of making me
write it all out by hand? There's no ambiguity as far as I can tell. The ARC
compiler is supplying plenty of code behind the scenes, including temporary
variables, so surely it wouldn't be onerous to do the same sort of thing here.
m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 5! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023562.do