On 23 Jan 2013, at 00:05, Jean Suisse <jean.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Dealing with English seems not too troublesome but titles composed in other
>> languages might be a different matter.
>
> Do you want to deal with other languages ? For instance Japanese, Chinese,
> Korean, Arabic, etc. ?
The user can enter any text as a descriptive title describing a script input.
At present the app UI is English but the text fields are free form.
So any character in any script is valid.
Many scripting languages can accept UTF-8 variable names but my knowledge wanes
when it comes to dealing with a wide range of languages.

>> My current thinking is, regardless of the language, is to exclude all
>> characters that are not members of NSCharacterSet + (id)letterCharacterSet.
>>
>> Is  + (id)letterCharacterSet the best choice here?
>
> I don't know. Does it include characters in "すごくやる気がある" ?
That is the question. I don't know what range of character ranges +
letterCharacterSet includes.
A better question might be what is the intended use of + letterCharacterSet. Is
it locale dependent?

> I can only guess what your goal is. But can't you associate some unique
> variable name to strings you can't translate (for instance the hex
> representation of the bytes in the UTF8 string) ?

Hmm. Maybe not. I want to keep the generated variable name legible.

Jonathan