On 28 Jan 2013, at 16:46, Gilles Celli <gilles.ce...@ecgs.lu> wrote:

> Please don't be scared ;-)
> Well I'm little bit in a hurry … will look more closely tonight, but:
>
> What I've done til now is inside readFromURL:ofType:error:
> 1. Open the file and store it NSString currentFileContents
> 2. Process currentFileContents  in a new object myDataFile (withc class
> DataFileParser) by extracting the data values etc. with NSScanner, this takes
> most time
> 3. return YES if everything is OK in readFromURL
>
> So I thought that then makeWindowControllers comes in action ?!...
> In makeWindowControllers:
> 1. Pass myDataFile if it's not nil > create a new MainWindowController and
> pass myDataFile to it like
> mainWindowController = [[DataViewerWindowController alloc]
> initWithDataFile:myDataFile];
>  [self addWindowController:mainWindowController];
>
> Hope this clarifies a little bit what I'm doing…well doing something wrong …..

That all sounds totally reasonable to me. The point is you're saying the open
panel is making your app unresponsive. If the app's unresponsive, that means
the main thread is doing too much work. So you need to get from Instruments or
similar an answer to the question "what is the main thread doing that takes so
long?"