On 02.02.2013, at 00:59, Mike Abdullah wrote:

> One downside of that is whenever a child needs to fetch data, it must do so
> via the main context, blocking the main thread while doing so. Depending on
> your model, that may prove unacceptable. If so, your better bet is to have a
> single "root" context with its own private queue. Make the main context a
> child of it. And then also make any background contexts children of it.
>
> At that point, you start to leave NSPersistentDocument's remit. I have code
> here demonstrating how to do subclass NSDocument directly for this setup:
>
> https://github.com/karelia/BSManagedDocument
> (make sure you checkout the ksmanageddocument branch!)
>
> One great advantage is it leverages the root context to implement
> asynchronous saves. Out of the box it is designed to match
> UIManagedDocument's document package layout, but I'm sure you could adjust
> that. Or perhaps just re-use bits of the code in your NSPersistentDocument
> subclass.

thank you! We just started to support 10.7+ and my first experiments in our
NSPersistentDocument based
application to use child-contexts wasn't this satisfactory. I will look into
your code.

Concerning child-contexts: By googling around I found
http://wbyoung.tumblr.com/post/27851725562/core-data-growing-pains
which makes me a little bit nervous. If someone has experience using them on
10.7+ I would like to hear
your experiences.

Cheers,

Felix