Sounds like a classic memory management error. Either you are using a pointer
to an object after you've released it, or you are keeping an autoreleased
pointer beyond the lifetime of the current autorelease pool without retaining
it, or a pointer to an object inside an NSArray or NSDictionary after you've
released the array. Often people also do this by e.g. forgetting to retain an
object when they place it into an instance variable of another object. Or
handing the -bytes pointer of an NSData object to some C code that then tries
to call DisposePtr() or free() on it (in which case you should copy the NSData
into a newly malloc()ed pointer.

If it's not that, then you're likely declaring a local variable or malloc()ing
a struct somewhere and forgetting to initialize it to 0 (or in some other way
remembering that you haven't allocated memory of a pointer in it). Only objects
are initialized to 0 when you allocate them.

A good exercise is to set all pointer variables to nil (or NULL, for
non-objects) right when declaring them, and setting them back to that again
right after you call release on them.

There's also a final, much less likely possibility: That there is actually a
bug in some MacOS API you are using. But that is rather unlikely. That you have
the bug on 17.7+ but not on 10.6 could mean the bug is new with 10.6. OTOH it
could also mean that 10.6 had a bug that was fixed in 10.7, or that you wrote
code assuming a bug in 10.6 was how it's supposed to be even though the
documentation (and fixed behavior in 10.7 and later) corrected it. Much more
likely, however, the bug is yours and already there in 10.6, and Apple just
added a few more sanity checks in 10.7 and hence it's the first time you get
reliably warned about your mistake.

(Of course, if you're using ARC instead of manual retain/release, the above can
also happen, but are much harder to track down because you're only indirectly
causing the compiler to insert the "wrong" retain/release calls, they're not
explicit in your code)

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de