I know from experience that it doesn't use the name from the app that sent the
notification; we hit a case where someone who'd been testing an earlier version
that they'd renamed to include the version number was seeing that name in the
Notification Center even after that copy had been deleted. I checked; it wasn't
pulling it from the Launch Services database either.

I filed a bug, it was marked as a dup of rdar://12171824