See my response on ³Custom control with 4 vertical sliders².  Like many
things, NSCollectionView is very simple to use, once you understand it. Your
xib file with handle most of it for you.  You just have to supply the
prototype view and get your bindings hooked up properly and make sure you
know what ³representedObject² is. For most needs, you can use
NSCollectionView as is. What they don¹t tell you in the docs, is that if
each cell needs continuous connection (e.g., my movie thunbnails), you need
to subclass the collection view to make it clone and set values from the
prototype instead of just using it over again in each cell.