On Feb 20, 2013, at 12:10 AM, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerr...@mdenkmann.de> wrote:

> But I do not know how to recognise mutability.
>
> 1. use isKindOfClass: [NSMutableString class]
>       disadvantage: all strings turn out to be mutable

This is somewhat of an FAQ. There is no way to do this (without groping inside
private data structures.)

In practice, all NSStrings are instances of a few CF-implemented string classes
that support both mutable and immutable strings. These internal classes
implement the API of both NSString and NSMutableString.

I think you’ve posted about this stuff before? It really sounds like you’re on
a wild goose chase down a rathole, with this archiving project. I suggest you
back up a ways and look at the problem from a high level and find a different
way to solve it.

—Jens