On Mar 13, 2013, at 17:29:11, Seth Willits <sli...@araelium.com> wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2013, at 2:38 PM, Steve Mills wrote:
>
>> That's an idea. I was hoping there was some way to say "this is the frame
>> for the first new window, but all others should respect it AND then go ahead
>> and cascade down from there," because I'd still like to cascade the windows
>> from that calculated position but hopefully without having to write all the
>> code that Apple already wrote to cascade windows and ensure that they's
>> still 100% onscreen in the first place.
>
> The exact behavior you describe is the behavior I see when simply setting the
> window frame in windowDidLoad.

It's hard to say "exact" without seeing each other's app. So #1 gets put into
the location I calculate. #2 cascades down from that. Fine. But #3 cascades
down from that, and since the bottom is now outside the bottom of the screen,
the entire window gets moved up, completely ignoring where I moved it to in
windowDidLoad, so it ends up being too high and under my palettes. I don't know
why Apple doesn't have a method to get the preferred rect that it will respect
when cascading, much like it knows how to get the visibleRect from the NSScreen
and still respects that.

--
Steve Mills
office: 952-818-3871