In my iOS app, I had a single primary view controller.  This controlled
three views, one of which had a gesture recognizer.  This worked well.
However, as the code grew, refactored this into three view controllers, as the
primary view controller was doing too much, and it was beginning to get
confusing as to where what was happening.

        The new design as my primary view controller, and two child view
controllers.  Each of the two child view controllers has a custom view: one on
the top part of the screen, and one of the bottom.  The two child view
controllers views do not overlap.  The gesture recognizer is for on of the
child view controllers.

        I have this all displaying correctly, and it's a much nicer design.
It's now easy to figure out where what code is, and where functionality should
go.  The problem is, the gesture recognizer no longer receives touch events.
I've search around for this problem, and see where other people have it when
they stack views on top of each other.  So I think that is what is happening
here.  My primary view controller's view is not visible - it's not used, except
for some overall gesture recognizers, and some pop-evers.  So the view in the
child view controller should not be behind anything.

        I'm not sure what to try now to troubleshoot this. Any pointers will be
greatly appreciated.