On Mar 14, 2013, at 4:51 PM, Luther Baker wrote:

> Given today's computing power, is there a strong case that can be made for
> or against the general use of forward declarations?
>
> I grew up using them as a best practice in C++ projects ... but more
> recently, several seniors Obj-C devs have suggested that they prefer
> #import in the .h files.
>
> Initially, I thought this might be related to the prevalence of Java or C#
> (which don't deal with such things) ... but the suggestion today was that
> forward decls was actually unnecessary typing, not considered a best
> practice ... and that, indeed, #importing in the .h file could potentially
> actually help weed out bad code.
>
> Am I just from another era?

@class Foo;

has never caused any problems that I know of, but

@protocol Foo;

can result in the compiler thinking that Foo is an empty protocol if you don't
import the .h that has the actual protocol.

And no matter how fast compilers get, projects get big enough that builds are
slow. (But then I'm always measuring compile time against Smalltalk...)