On Mar 17, 2013, at 11:31 AM, Ken Thomases wrote:

>> In nibs we bind to NSUserDefaults through NSUserDefaultsController, but is
>> there any point in using NSUserDefaultsController when binding to a default
>> through code? (Or using KVO, also.) It's always seemed to work monitoring
>> NSUserDefaults directly.
>
> Yes, you should bind through NSUserDefaultsController, regardless.  Bindings
> established in IB are not significantly different from bindings established
> in code.
>
> NSUserDefaults is not KVO-compliant.  It may work to fetch the value on a
> one-time basis (i.e. KVC), but you're not guaranteed to be informed when a
> default changes.

Question is, when does it not work? I've yet to see it fail. Maybe if I called
registerDefaults: it wouldn't propagate notifications for that, but it seems
fine in ever other case. (I've actually been using it for ages, though I do a
mixture of using NSUDC and NSUD. I think It's probably that all of my bindings
go through NSUDC but observations are always straight on NSUD.)

--
Seth Willits