From: ag...@mac.com
Date: Wednesday, April 3, 2013
To: Kevin Callahan <kc...@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Providing a Service without activating an app

On Apr 2, 2013, at 4:43 PM, Kevin Callahan <kc...@mac.com> wrote: > So,
basically, my solution was to minimize my app, do the service work, then
activate Xcode, then insert results. > > Maybe there's a better way? Thanks,
Kevin! I think you may have mentioned dealing with this a while back. One
reason I suspect there's no way to avoid (briefly) activating the app is
precisely because of what Accessorizer does. I have the luxury of being able to
(and wanting to) go in the opposite direction, from .app to .service instead of
vice versa. I found one person's sample code, from which I figured out how to
find plenty of examples in GitHub: simply search for
NSRegisterServicesProvider. I now have converted my project to a .service,
which fortunately is pretty simple. It wasn't hard to modify my Application
project, but I'm surprised there's no Xcode template for a Service project. I
haven't found any help from Apple except this one line: > To build a standalone
service, use the extension .service and store it in Library/Services. How did
everybody else learn how to write a .service? --Andy