I never retain IBOutlet properties. The view retains the object when it is
added, so also retaining the property would increase the retain count to 2.
I have not encountered a condition where I was required to access an
IBOutlet property after the view had been unloaded, so this approach has
worked well for me. My foggy memory tells me this is (or was) best
practice, but I'm just too lazy to look it up right now. YMMV.

Regards,

-jwd
// Joseph W. Dixon