The out-of-whackishness that I was seeing was caused by our own portable code
which stored the current doc dirty state in a global. AUGH!! Yes, a global. *I*
didn't write it that way. :) Anyhoo, it was preventing the document from ever
being dirtied again. So to sum up, upon pausing autosave I explicitly tell it
to autosave if needed via autosaveWithImplicitCancellability, in writeToURL
return NO and set a userCancelled error if autosave is paused, and in
hasUnautosavedChanges return NO if autosave is paused. This seems to handle all
the cases I've tested so far. Thanks for the input, everyone.

--
Steve Mills
office: 952-818-3871