I ran into a very similar problem. Recently, I put my view hierarchy into
an NSTabView. When it's in the inactive tab, I get lots of "Unable to
simultaneously satisfy constraints" errors. When the view hierarchy is in
the active tab, there are no errors. I use auto layout in most of my views
accept for the views in document.subviews in NSScrollView.

I don't know if being in the inactive tab is exposing or causing auto
layout problems. I suspect that it will be time consuming to track down.

I'm not recommending this, but one less-than-ideal way to avoid the
problem is to completely deconstruct the view hierarchy before it's in the
inactive tab with code like this:
 [[self subviews] makeObjectsPerformSelector:
@selector(removeFromSuperview)];
Then rebuild the view hierarchy before it's in the active tab.

Chuck