Hi, I had to design my whole view system to work around the problems with
overlapping sibling views not being guaranteed to be drawn in a specific order,
but today I came across some posts that suggested that this was no longer the
case.

In the current 10.8 documentation it still says: "Note: For performance
reasons, Cocoa does not enforce clipping among sibling views or guarantee
correct invalidation and drawing behavior when sibling views overlap. If you
want a view to be drawn in front of another view, you should make the front
view a subview (or descendant) of the rear view."

But in this thread from 2009, two Apple engineers (Corbin Dunn and David
Duncan) said that the documentation is out of date, and that it should work as
of 10.5:
http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/228191-nsview-behaves-different-on-10-4-vs-10-5.html

There are conflicting views expressed in
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/466297/is-there-a-proper-way-to-handle-overlapping-nsview-siblings

My scenario is a whole lot of sibling, potentially translucent, overlapping,
layer backed views.

I'm fairly sure I tested this and found it to fail in mid 2010, so this would
make it 10.6.

It also appears that the CocoaSlides example app uses sibling views for the
slides, and that appears to show the slides in the same order every time.

So, is the problem actually fixed? And if so, what version of the operating
system introduced the fix?

Regards

Gideon