On May 2, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Quincey Morris
<quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

> On May 2, 2013, at 14:52 , Corbin Dunn <corb...@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 17, 2013, at 2:09 PM, Quincey Morris
>> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:

>>> Yup, the documentation situation for NSOutlineView is awful.
>>
>> You should log bugs at bugreporter.apple.com asking for specific things you
>> would like to see better. Please be specific; general statements like "X is
>> terrible" don't help us know what you are wanting to know. A better thing
>> would be to say "I don't understand how to begin editing in NSOutlineView.."
>> or "it took me a long time to figure out XX, and it should be documented".
>
> Yes, I know. But Gordon already said the specific thing: "there is no
> documentation on [view-based outline views], zero, zip, nada, zilch".
>
> This isn't just about programming guides. The delegate method
> 'outlineView:viewForTableColumn:item:' isn't even mentioned in the
> NSOutlineViewDelegate protocol reference documentation. Zero, zip, nada,
> zilch.
>
> Under the circumstances, I think it's a little hilarious to be asked to
> meticulously bug-report what will "'help us know what you are wanting to
> know".

There isn't zero documentation; 95% of the functionality comes from
NSTableView, which is well documented. The outline view methods are really just
cover methods for the NSTableView ones.

But like I said, please log a bug requesting it be documented. Your specific
case here would be to document the view based outline view delegate methods.
But to be fair, the header is fairly verbose (well, terse in the case for those
methods...because they are just cover methods  as I said).

corbin