I'd strongly recommend a great tool from the DTCoreText github project -
DTHTMLWriter and DTHTMLReader. It is designed to work with HTML documents and
turn them into XML or like (he uses it for NSAttributedStrings).

I've been using this project very heavily and it works extremely well. For
example I use it to convert HTML to ENML for Evernote. It works with loads of
poorly formatted HTML.