On 2013/05/14, at 9:57, Rick Mann <rm...@latencyzero.com> wrote:

> It seems that Cocoa or the OS or someone repositions my windows with some
> rules when the screen resolution changes. Does anyone know what the rules
> are? Stuff is kept in roughly the same quadrant of the screen, near as I can
> tell, and perhaps the offset within the quadrant is adjusted by some factor,
> but it seems to be repeatable (that is, windows don't crawl with repeated
> changes).
>
> Is this documented somewhere? I couldn't even think of how to search for this
> (my feeble attempts turned up nothing).
>
> --
> Rick

NSApplication class has a notification you can observe:

NSApplicationDidChangeScreenParametersNotification

Posted when the configuration of the displays attached to the computer is
changed.
The configuration change can be made either programmatically or when the user
changes settings in the Displays control panel. The notification object is
sharedApplication. This notification does not contain a userInfo dictionary.

Then you can respond according to your app's needs.
Presumably, you should not rely on or infer the logic of what the system does
for you, but rather just respond as appropriate for your own needs.